The tomb of Min (TT109) is located at the foot of Sheikh Abd el-Gurna, part of the Theban Necropolis, on the west bank of the Nile, in Luxor.
In spite of the titles connecting Min closely with the Thinite nome (Mayor of Thinis, Overseer of the prophets of Onuris [chief god of that city] and Mayor of the Oasis, Overseer of singers, steward and festival leader of Osiris) and suggesting a close connection with the god’s cult center at Abydos, the tutor Min is known only from his tomb at Thebes and from several funerary cones from the same site.
The structure of the tomb consists of: a forecourt, a transversal pillared hall and three chapels opening on the north side of the transversal hall. A first map of the tomb appears in 1960 in PM, where two of the three chapels are shown; later (1888-1889) Virey provides a new plan of the tomb, but here two of the chapels are absent and the proportions are different. Finally, it is from the publication of F. Kampp (1996) that we can have a more detailed and complete view of the tomb.
Plan of TT109 (Virey, P. (1887) : Le tombeau d’un Seigneur de Thini dans la nécropole de Thèbes. RecTrav 9, p 28
Plan of TT109 (Kampp, F. (1966): Die thebanischen Nekropole: Zum Wandel des Grabgedankens von der XVIII. bis zur XX. Dynastie (= Theben, 13). p 390, fig. 277). The red circle indicates the tomb -327- which is also part of our concession.
This tomb is half carved and half painted instead of totally painted like the other tombs in the area of Sheikh Abd el-Qurna. The first descriptions of the iconography of the tomb are in the two articles published by Virey in 1888-1889; the first image copied from TT109 appeared instead in the Description de l’Egypte (1809-1829), which has become our logo: the prince Amenhotep (the future king Amenhotep II) learning to shoot a arrow under the supervision of his teacher Min.
Min teaching the prince. From Description de l’Egypte.